1/2 C buttermilk
1/2 C sour cream
2 C AP flour
1 TB baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 TB (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" pats
2 TB unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together buttermilk and sour cream.
- In food processor, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and process until blended. Scatter the butter evenly over the flour and pulse until you have a pebble-like consistency. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and fold with rubber spatula until combined. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead just until it comes together.
- Roll the dough into a 12 in square. To make the layers, fold the right third over the center, then fold the left third over the center so that you have a rectangle. Then fold the top third onto the center, and the bottom third onto the center so you have a square. Roll it into a 12 in square and repeat the process so that you end up with a 12 in square.
- Cut biscuits out with a floured biscuit cutter, making sure not to twist the cutter. Transfer to parchment-lined or greased baking pan, leaving around 1 in between each biscuit.
- Brush the tops of biscuits with melted butter and bake until golden brown and risen, about 15 mins, rotating the pan halfway through. Allow 5mins to cool and serve.