Monday, October 20, 2014

Old School Pumpkin Bread



This is my recipe for pumpkin bread, retrieved from one of my great-grandmother's recipe book.  I make substitutions based on what I have on hand, or my mood that day.  The original recipe called for three cups of granulated sugar, but it was too sweet for us. Feel free to add more if you like. The recipe is really forgiving.

Ingredients:

  • 3C all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1C granulated sugar
  • 1C brown sugar
  • 1C butter, room temp or softer
  • 3 large eggs
  • 16-24 oz of pumpkin puree (16oz is a normal can size. I add more when I am using fresh because I love pumpkin)
  • 1/2C chopped pecans (optional)


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray two loaf pans.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the first seven ingredients- flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a stand mixer, cream warm butter, sugar and eggs until fluffy. Add pumpkin puree and mix well.
  4. In three batches, add the dry ingredients and mix gently just until incorporated. Scrap the sides of the bowl after each batch. 
  5. Pour half the batter in each pan. Bake for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Freezes well.

For the bread above, I used 1/2C of butter and 1/2C of applesauce, and it turned out great!  With butter priced at $5/lb right now, I was happy to make the substitution.  I just finished canning a lot of applesauce so I could use it as a substitution in recipes. It adds nutrition and costs less- win, win!

4 comments:

  1. I like the line "the recipe is really forgiving" think that will have folks in the kitchen having fun with it...nice one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! If the recipe is finicky, it's probably not one for me!

      Delete
  2. Conundrum: pumpkin bread or leaf shaped sugar cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaf-shaped sugar cookies sound so cute! I should really put cute cookies on my to-do list. My son flips for them!

      Delete